Insanely useful in a pinch, thank you!
Simple Model Poser
NOTE: Web version is not fully representative of downloadable version.
In particular, the z-axis rotation is borked and the scale is off. The scale issue can be somewhat rectified by viewing in full-screen. These issues do not affect the downloadable version.
What is it?
Simple Model Poser, is a small program I created to serve a single, very specific purpose: To provide a digital mannequin which can be posed into virtually any position and used as a reference when sketching in an art program. It is not a modelling app, nor an art package, but simply an aid to digital artists who would like to be able to generate their own reference images, quickly and easily.
In a word, yep! In a few more words: it is a basic and free alternative to the more advanced posing software, and a simple alternative for those who do not have the time or inclination to learn how to use free modelling software, such as Blender. It also saves the time and possible risk of searching for reference images on the internet, which could potentially lead to copyright problems. I created this to suit my own needs, when I found the alternatives lacking, and have simply decided to share this with any others who may be 'in the same boat'.
How does it work?
Load up the program and start manipulating the specific body parts into the pose you would like. You can then save the screen as an image file, which can then be imported into your art package of choice (such as Gimp), and used as a reference image to sketch over.
- Click buttons and select body parts with the Left Mouse Button.
- Manipulate selected body part in the X or Y axis by holding the Right Mouse Button and moving the mouse left, right, up, or down.
- Manipulate selected body part in the Z axis by holding the Middle Mouse Button and moving the mouse left or right.
- Individual body-parts which can be manipulated with mouse or keyboard.
- 3 dimensions of movement.
- Body-parts can be scaled (big heads etc.) (requires mouse wheel)
- Camera can be controlled via button interface.
- Light source can be controlled via button interface.
- Reset individual body-parts to default, if you make a mistake.
- Reset camera or light source to default.
- Pop-up help, as well as more detailed Help and Tips screens.
As already stated, I originally made this program to serve my own purpose and, although I've expanded it somewhat since deciding to publish it, it is still very much a 'bare-bones' piece of software. Don't expect any bells or whistles, nor any features beyond what are listed above (for now at least). I do have ideas for expanding the program (such as a range of models, including females, as well as adding props to create 'scenes'), but this will only happen if there is some interest shown in the current version.
The program is made with Unity, and should be fairly bug-free, but I have only been able to test it on my own Windows system. If you do notice any particularly annoying bugs, or missing features, contact me at the email below, or leave a message in the comments.
Lastly, the program is totally free to use, but it is not public domain, and I retain all rights as the author (but you are free to use the results of this software for any purpose, including commercial). If you do happen to find the software useful, and you can spare some change, I would very much appreciate it if you could donate any amount you like.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you get some use out of this.
Click download now to get access to the following files: